It is a common thought that the Bible and Science contradict each other, but it is interesting to note some of the many scientific details in the Bible which were long ahead of their time. Consider …
• Around 1500BC Job wrote “God hangs the earth on nothing” – long before Newton discovered the Laws of Gravity!
• Around 700BC Isaiah wrote “God who sits above the circle [sphere] of the earth” – long before Magellan sailed around the world in 1519AD to prove to people the earth was not flat!
• Around 1400BC Moses wrote “The life of the flesh is in the blood” – long before haematology confirmed that blood carries life-sustaining substances like oxygen, glucose and amino acids throughout the whole body.
• Around 1000BC Solomon accurately described the earth’s wind and water systems: “The wind blows to the south and goes around to the north; around and around goes the wind, and on its circuits the wind returns. All streams run to the sea, but the sea is not full; to the place where the streams flow, there they flow again.”
Also consider what many famous scientists from the past had to say about this topic:
• Johannes Kepler (1571-1630), the astronomer who discovered three great laws of planetary motion said: “I am a Christian” … “Great is God our Lord, great is His power and there is no end to His wisdom” … He is “the kind Creator who brought forth nature out of nothing.” Kepler also said, “I had the intention of becoming a theologian … but now I see how God is, by my endeavours, also glorified in astronomy, for ‘the heavens declare the glory of God.’”
• Blaise Pascal (1623-1662) researched physics, hydrostatics and vacuums as well as invented the mechanical calculator. He said, “Knowing God without knowing our own wretchedness engenders pride. Knowing our own wretchedness without knowing God engenders despair.”
• Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727), who discovered the Laws of Gravity, Motion and Calculus, is known to be a father of modern science. He said, “I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the word of God, written by men who were inspired. I study the Bible daily … Atheism is senseless. When I look at the solar system, I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amount of heat and light. This did not happen by chance.” He also said, “This most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent Being … This Being governs all things … as Lord of all.”
• Sir William Herschel (1738-1822) was the astronomer who discovered Uranus, and also first accurately described the Milky Way. He said, “All human discoveries seem to be made only for the purpose of confirming more and more the Truths contained in the Sacred Scriptures. ... The undevout astronomer must be mad.”
• James Joule (1818-1889) researched the field of physics which relates heat to mechanical motion, and so his name was given to the unit of energy, the joule. In 1864 he was one of 717 scientists who signed a statement against Darwin’s Theory of Evolution called The Declaration of Students of the Natural and Physical Sciences. He said, “After the knowledge of, and the obedience to, the will of God, the next aim must be to know something of His attributes of wisdom, power and goodness as evidenced by His handiwork.”
• Louis Pasteur (1822-1895), who established the new scientific fields of microbiology and bacteriology, including the inventions of vaccination and pasteurization (which was named after him!) said: “The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator.”
• William Thomson (Lord Kelvin, 1824-1907), who discovered the absolute temperature scale, which was then named after him, said: “Overwhelmingly strong proofs of intelligent and benevolent design lie around us … the atheistic idea is so non-sensical that I cannot put it into words.”
• Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977) was the first Director of NASA, and a pioneer of space exploration. He said, “Scientific concepts exist only in the minds of men. Behind these concepts lies the reality which is being revealed to us, but only by the grace of God.”
This is what these men of genius said – what do you say?
For more information on this topic we have the following resources in our lending library:
1) And God Said, by Dr. Farid Abou-Rahme ***
2) 科学 与 圣经, by Dr. Farid Abou-Rahme (Chinese translation of “And God Said”) ***
3) The Wonders of God, by William MacDonald ***
4) Science and the Bible, by Henry M. Morris
5) The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict, by Josh McDowell
6) The Evidence for Creation, by G. S. McLean, Roger Oakland, Larry McLean
7) The Human Body: An Intelligent Design, by Alan L. Gillen, Frank J. Sherwin III, Alan C. Knowles
8) Design and Origins in Astronomy, edited by George Mulfinger, Jr.
9) The Creation of Life, by A. E. Wilder-Smith
10) Genesis in Space and Time, by Francis A. Schaeffer
*** HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Please go to the Contact Us page and send us your request for any of these resources.